10th Annual Virginia Beach Flounder Tournament Rules
Tournament Dates and Times:
- Friday and Saturday, July 24 & 25, 2020
- Each day, lines can go in at 7:00 a.m. and must be out at 3:00 pm
- “Blow date”, if needed, is Sunday, July 26, 2020
- Registration is open from 5:00PM to 6:45PM on Thursday, July 23rd
- The Entry Fee for each Boat is $200 per day (each Boat may have up to four (4) anglers)
- Boats may register online at VBfloundertournament.com or in person at Ballyhoos, 2865 Lynnhaven Dr, Suite D3, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- Each Boat must designate a Captain and all Captains must attend the Captains’ Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 23, 2020 at Ballyhoos located at 2865 Lynnhaven Dr Suite D3, Virginia Beach, VA 23451.
- Questions about these Rules will be clarified at the Captains’ Meeting.
- This is a boat tournament only.
- Fish must be caught by rod and reel only. An angler must hook and reel their own fish. Anglers are not allowed to pass a rod to another angler after a fish has been hooked, however, other anglers may assist with the netting.
- No fish caught during the act of commercial fishing will be eligible.
- Any fish entered in or with another contest or tournament is ineligible for entry into this tournament.
- Each Boat may weigh-in up to three (3) flounder. Winners will be determined by the combined weight of the team’s fish.
- Sunday July 26th @ 12:00PM. Ballyhoos, 2865 Lynnhaven Dr, Suite D3. Virginia Beach VA 23451
Anglers are advised to maintain an active weather watch when fishing. The captain and crew must decide on their own when and where to fish during this tournament and they are solely responsible for their own safety. If small craft advisories are posted at 5 p.m. the day before the tournament for the day of the tournament for the area near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, the tournament will be postponed until the next “blow date.” The scheduled “blow date” will be Sunday, July 26 for the same hours. Small craft advisory information is announced by NOAA and obtained from the weather channel on marine VHF radio. If for any reason the tournament cannot proceed on the scheduled dates due to weather, blow date winners will be picked by raffle.
- Fish can be brought by car but must be weighed at one of the following locations
- Long Bay Point Bait and Tackle, 2109 W Great Neck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451; or
- Oceans East- Eastern Shore, 28316 Lankford Hwy, Capeville, VA 23313.
- Anglers must be standing in the weigh-in line by 5:00 p.m.
- Fish entered into the tournament must be tagged with the tags supplied at the Captains’ meeting.
- All fish are subject to thorough examination, both external and internal by the Tournament Committee. Any angler found guilty of cheating, attempting to cheat, or otherwise deviating from the rules of this tournament, will be disqualified and ineligible for further and future participation. Any angler found to be cheating may be prosecuted.
- By participating in the tournament, anglers agree to take a lie detector test, if deemed necessary by the Tournament Committee for any reason.
- If an angler is required to take a lie detector test, he or she must pass the test to win a prize.
- If an angler fails the lie detector test, the angler and the angler’s team will be disqualified from the tournament.
- There will be 2 optional Big Fish Calcuttas with 100% payouts for participants who pay an additional entry fee of $150 per boat. The single heaviest fish wins. You must tag your Calcutta fish with the special tag provided.
- There will also be an optional “stringer” Calcutta with a 100% payout for participants who pay an additional entry fee of $150 per boat. The heaviest stringer (Heaviest 3 Fish) entered in this Calcutta will win.
All other prizes have guaranteed minimums and will be paid as follows:
- 1st Place (Heaviest 3 Flounder): $5,000 + 50% entry
- 2nd Place (Heaviest 3 Flounder): $3000 + 30% entry
- 3rd Place (Heaviest 3 Flounder): $2,000 + 20% entry
- 4th Place (Heaviest 3 Flounder): $1000
- 5th Place (Heaviest 3 Flounder): $500
- 6th Place (Heaviest 3 Flounder): $250
- $300: Heaviest Oyster Toad
- $300: Ladies Division Heaviest Flounder
- $50 and some tackle: 15 and under division Heaviest Flounder
- $500 Sponsor Division Bragging rights. This will consist of a plaque with your name as the SSBGC Sponsor Champion).
- “$500 Lucky Flounder” payout – Teams not placing in the Top 6 will be entered into a “Lucky Flounder drawing”. A member of the team must be present to win. If no member of the winning team is present, another team name will be drawn
- Ties: In the event of a tie, the first team checked in at the weigh in will be declared the winner.
- Taxes: Anglers are responsible for all applicable taxes on prizes received. Winners shall allow the Tournament Committee and tournament sponsors the opportunity and right to film, videotape, record, and photograph them and to use their name, voice and likeness without further compensation for advertising and promotion of the sponsors, the Southside Boys & Girls Club and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Virginia.
- Waiver: All participants agree that the Southside Boys & Girls Club, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Virginia and the tournament sponsors are not liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this tournament or from the acceptance or use of any awarded prize.
- Protests: Any protest must be filed by 6:00 p.m. on the relevant day of the tournament. The protest must be made directly to an official of the Tournament Committee. The Tournament Committee will review any and all protests and its decisions will be final.
Got a Question?
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or comments.